Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Finnish Chanterelle Mushroom Soup

Last week a grandfather and his grandson stopped in with a basket of locally picked Chanterelle Mushrooms. They had never been into Urban Decanter and asked if I was interested in them. Excitement filled me and I exclaimed "YES!" The grandson jumped for joy because the money for the mushrooms went towards his college fund. I wrote a check for $24 and exchanged it for 6 pounds of mushrooms!



Now.... What to do with them? I flipped through my cookbooks for inspiration. Looking through my Finnish cookbook, I came across a mushroom soup and had a plan for the next day. I was going to make a soup inspired by a Finnish recipe!

Finnish Chanterelle Mushroom Soup:

Serves 8 People

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white wine
4 leeks, white and light green parts chopped up
1.5 shallots, or more. I use extra because I love them
18 ounces of Chanterelle Mushrooms coarsely chopped
2 tbsp corn starch
9 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp fresh parsley
Cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper

Melt butter in pan and add leeks and shallots. Stir in the white wine. Saute until they get soft. Add mushrooms, half the stock and corn starch. Stir until it begins to boil. Reduce the mixture to a simmer and add the remaining stock. Stir in the heavy cream and heat the soup back up, continuing to stir. Sprinkle in the parsley. Season to taste with the cayenne, salt and pepper. I like to go heavy on pepper and cayenne. I love spice in my soup! 




Garnish with fresh parsley. I served this soup with a garlic crostini. The soup is very brothy which makes it a perfect match for bread. Soaking up the soup with bread will hit the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment