Saturday, December 29, 2012

Urban Decanter Tomato Soup!

Tomato Soup!

One fruit (or vegetable) that I dislike the most is the TOMATO! There are a few exceptions in my book to  my feelings about tomatos. The exceptions are salsa, catsup ketchup, and tomato! The tomato soup recipe I am going to share below is from earlier this year. I used produce from the Forest Grove Farmers Market and served the soup at my wine bar Urban Decanter


Tomato Soup:
1 onion
5 garlic cloves
2 TBSP butter
2 sage leafs 
3 basil leafs
8 cups tomato, diced
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth *Add more or less depending on how thick or thin you want the soup.
1 tsp corn starch (thickening agent, optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a stock pot, add onion and garlic then cook till tender over medium heat. Chop up sage and basil then add it to the pot. Toss the ingredients together a few times then add in the diced tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook 3 to 4 minutes then add the broth. Next, mix the corn starch with half a cup of cold water then add to the mixture. Bring the ingredients in the pot to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid and let it cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Finish the soup up by using a hand blender or food processor to puree the soup. 

The garnish I used with this soup with a crostini topped with goat cheese. 

One of my favorite soup tips: My soups stay warm in a crock pot. As the soups get thick, I pour in a portion of wine with hot water to reduce the thickness. I love the flavor that the wine adds to my soups.

My guests loved this soup. I look forward to serving this one again next year during the Farmer's Market!

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment