Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wine Chat (#winechat) February 29th! Join us!


A row of carmine at Kramer Vineyards- fall of 2011
 On February 29th 2012, AKA Leap Day, Beau and I will have the privilege to host #winechat from 9-10 EST! The topic we chose is "obscure and uncommon northwest varietals". As wine geeks lovers, it is always fun to taste and share the gems that are not part of the mainstream.

Now perhaps you are curious exactly what we mean when we suggest "Obscure and Uncommon Northwest Varietals". Here are some examples:

Oregon Grenache:
Abacela is a winery located in Roseburg, Oregon. I have tasted through their wines a few times and they are of great quality. They do make a grenache, however, it is not listed on their website. We found a bottle at a wine shop, so they are in circulation. They do have a grenache rose listed on their website, which is a wine I would love to try! Perhaps I can get my hands on a bottle for this tasting!

Oregon Tempranillo:
In southern Oregon there are several wineries that are producing tempranillo. Tempranillo is a wine that I am not completely familiar with and I would love to get to know it a lot more! I went to a tempranillo tasting earlier this year where I had my first Oregon tempranillo and I fell in love. I see Oregon tempranillo on shelves in wine shops around Portland, but I would really love to see more of it avaliable. A few tempranillo producers in Oregon are Abacela, Anna Maria (Valley View Winery), and Roxy Ann.

Muller-Thurgau:
This is a wine that has my sweet spot. It was the first wine that I ever really loved to enjoy, and I can drink it year round. I love it either still or as a sparkling wine. It pairs beautifully with spicy foods, especially Thai cuisine. The two producers I will mention for muller-thurgau is Kramer Vineyards and Montinore. Kramer produces both a sparkling and still version of muller while Montinore produces only the still. Unfortunatly Montinore is all sold out of 2010 muller-thurgau at this time, so I look forward to their next release in the spring. I am currently on the hunt for other mullers, so if you discover a muller that you love, please share with me!

So please grab a glass, a wine that you feel fits the category, and join us on twitter!

Cheers~
Becky

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait! I will actually be in Oregon then too. Looking forward to picking up some great bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :~( I am not going to be in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte- Fantastic! Look forward to seeing what you find for the chat =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nubian- No worries! You will be enjoying your trip out of the states. I wish you a wonderful trip and safe travels!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to it! So often there are other varietals in well known regions that simply get over shadowed by the fame of another varietal. I love to hear about esoteric wines anyway. Maybe I'll crack my Blaufrankisch that night :D Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Washington Lemberger in the mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can try to get a bottle. I will keep an eye out for one at local wine shops! If you are interested in chiming in about that wine, please do!

      Delete
  7. If people don't participate in this, they are not wine-cool! Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't able to get to the wine store today. But I'm adding these to my list. Can't wait to try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Hope you enjoy them! I hope that through tonights chat I can discover some new, obscure wines!

      Delete