Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chicken Fried Steak Smackdown #1

Chicken fried steak is one of my favorite breakfast items. I was introduced to this irresistable fried cubed steak heaven roughly four years ago. Since then I have been HOOKED. If its on the menu, I must try it! My love of this gravy smothered breakfast has led me to go on a mission to find what I think is the best chicken fried steak in northwestern Oregon.

Chicken Fried Steak #1!

Yesterday morning Beau and I were out delivering some wine and one of the stops was at Coleman's Shady Rest in Gales Creek, Oregon. I have heard plenty of buzz about their breakfast, so we stayed to see what this place was all about!

Upon arrival of our food, I was amazed by the proportions. They were huge! My chicken fried steak took up about half of the plate (as it should), the potatoes were crispy home style potatoes, and the eggs were perfect (over medium). Beau's burger was also stunning. He ordered a pastrami burger and the bun probably had a diameter of six inches. We were drooling over the food that was in front of us.




Upon cutting into my steak I immediately noticed how easy the meat was to cut and that it was not tough or stringy. I have had some chicken fried steaks where I needed a saw to cut through the meat, but not this one. The meat cut very easily. I *drooled* again over the beautiful, hand breaded, gravy covered cubed steak.   The food wasn't overly salty and it had the right amount of pepper. The gravy was greasy spoon style country gravy with sausage chunks. The dish is greasy, as it should be! I left there saying over and over "Oh my, that is one of the best chicken fried steaks I have had".

Coleman's Shady Rest has set the bar high for this dish. The bottom line is that this chicken fried steak is a greasy spoon, home style chicken fried steak that is a must try! If you are headed to the coast on the Wilson River Highway, please stop in. We both thoroughly enjoyed what we ordered and will be back to visit for more!

Friends- Do any of you have a place you think is a must visit place for chicken fried steak? I am on the hunt!

Cheers!

Becky

2 comments:

  1. The Blue Pig Cafe has an Awesome Chicken Fried Steak. They used to be on 52nd & Division but move to Hawthorne. I haven't been there since they moved. Being a good Texas girl myself i LOVE Chicken Fried Steak and have had a difficult time finding good ones in Oregon over the last 20 years. You can bet I'll be checking this pkace out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Hipchick1 Thank you! I will have to check them out. The Delta Cafe has a great one but the gravy I had with it was a chicken gravy and not a sausage gravy. I plan to write a post on them too. I will be curious if you enjoy Coleman's Shady Rest as much as I did =)

    Also- Sounds like I must get chicken fried steak if I go to Texas =P

    ReplyDelete