Thursday, December 8, 2011

Crab Cakes!

Guess what!? Its crab season in Oregon, this means that there will be a supply of scrumptious crabs for sale in local markets. When I heard that it was crab season~ I knew it was time for crab cakes!
Crab cakes are a simple yet DELICIOUS recipe. The most time consuming part is cleaning the crab. Here is how I make crab cakes:

This is Marvin the Crab and all the ingredients

You can buy one whole crab that is either live or previously cooked. I always like to buy mine live whenever possible to ensure that the crab is freshly boiled. If you buy a crab live, bring a pot of water to a boil, add some salt and boil for 15-20 minutes. Once the crab is cooked, its time to clean!

Marvin after the boil
I clean it by removing all of the meat out of the crab legs first. Next I tear the shell off the body of the crab, clean out the lungs and all the yucky yellow junk, rinse the body and lastly clean the meat out of the body. Once you do all the time consuming, tedious work, its time to do the easy part.... throw ingredients in a bowl and make some cakes!

The five basic ingredients I put in my crab cakes are:
1 egg
1/2 cup to 1 cup of bread crumbs - the amount of bread crumbs depends on how much crab you have
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/4 onion pureed (or chopped)
1 crab
Salt, pepper and Old Bays Seasoning to taste

On the side in their own bowls:
1 beaten egg
1 cup bread crumbs

Crab Cake Sauce:
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1 tblsp of rice vinegar
A few pinches of garlic powder, pepper and salt
1 tsp of tapatio
A squeeze of a lemon slice


In a bowl with your crab meat add the egg, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (add more if needed to hold the patties together), almost all of the green onion (leave some for garnishing), and the onion. Get your hands dirty and mix it all together. You can season with salt, pepper and Old Bays. Your mixture will be ready to become crab cakes once the consistency is at the point where it does not crumble apart.


Heat a skillet on medium heat with a couple swirls of cooking oil. Make crab patties that are a little smaller than the size of your palm and about 3/4 of an inch thick. Dip the patty in the egg, plop in in the bread crumbs, then drop it in the pan. Cook the patties until they are golden brown on each side.

The crab cake sauce is something that I am always adjusting. If you feel like a little something more needs to be added to it, go for it. The recipe above is a combination of things I throw together as a base, then I add to it to make the flavors where I want them. I on occasion will toss in some sour cream too. Please, be creative =) Add a dollop of the sauce to the top of each crab cake, use the leftover green onions as a garnish and enjoy!


With the crab cakes I had some wonderful Grooner, a playful take on gruner veltliner, which paired together stunningly well. It was a pairing that literally made me stop stuffing my face to savor the flavors of the crab cake with the wine. I highly suggest each and every one of you try the pair so you can also be hypnotized by the two.

Cheers!

Becky

3 comments:

  1. Mouth is watering. Thanks for sharing. Will be making soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm these look great! crab cakes are one of my most favorite things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nubian and Anna- I love crab cakes and they are soooo easy! Thank you for reading my post =)

    ReplyDelete