Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ode to Hot Toddies!

This is the time of year when everyone is sniffling, coughing and whining about being sick. I fall into that category a time or two, however, as soon as I feel that cold coming on I don't reach for Dayquil, but I tend to reach towards the liquor cabinet for the whiskey to create a Hot Toddy! A Hot Toddy is one of those "old wives tales" drinks that the old timers swear by. I am a huge whiskey girl, and when I was introduced to a hot toddy in my early drinking years, I was in LOVE. At first, I will admit, I thought it was a myth. I thought there was no way a whiskey drink can help a cold, or help relieve the symptoms of a cold. Today I too swear by them! I have tried multiple ways and multiple ingredients in many of my excursions of Hot Toddy creations, but I now have a recipe for my favorite Hot Toddy~ Becky Boo style.

Personally, my favorite everyday whiskey is Pendleton Whiskey. This is a whiskey I can shoot straight or have on the rocks. I prefer this whiskey "straight up with no chaser"; but this is not a whiskey that I prefer in my hot toddy. The whiskey of choice for my Hot Toddy is none other than Maker's Mark. I have found that this whiskey creates a Hot Toddy that has flavors that compliment each other very well, and the whiskey does not stick out like a jagged dagger.


Now for the recipe~ Please note that I don't use exact measurements for this. I adjust to my taste buds. I hope that you do the same. With that said~ here it is!

Hot Toddy~ Becky Boo Style
1 coffee cup. It can be big or small. It all depends on how much hot toddy you want!
3/4 of your coffee cup with hot water
1 packet of green tea or black tea
Add at least 1 shot of whiskey
Lemon juice (varies depending on your taste)
At least 1 tsp of honey

The first thing you need to do is fill your coffee cup with hot water. Next, be sure to steep your tea for a couple of minutes, and for a couple of minutes only!
After the tea is steeped, add the honey, whiskey, and lemon then MIX!
The trick with this hot toddy is to add more of the ingredients until you find what fits your taste buds. If there isn't enough whiskey flavor, add a little more. If its not sweet enough, add more honey. If you don't feel like you have enough lemon tang, add more lemon juice.


In my Hot Toddy's I tend to go with about 1/4 of my cup with whiskey, a tablespoon of honey, and a teaspoon or so of lemon juice.

Remember: these measurements are not precise. Be sure to experiment to find what works best for you!

~Cheers

Becky

2 comments:

  1. I add fresh ginger to mine. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea! I need to try that =)

    ReplyDelete