Friday, November 11, 2011

Crunchy Egg Nog French Toast

Last Christmas my family and I went up to Bellingham, Washington to visit my grandmother and my aunt Sally. My sister, Kim, had found a recipe for Egg Nog French Toast online. The recipe she found was by a man named Harold Dieterle. This is the recipe that gave us inspiration to make this delightful breakfast for my family. I have been telling gobs of friends about the recipe over the past year, and this morning I finally made it at home for Beau to enjoy.


Ingredients:

Rum-Raisin Syrup:
1/2 cups of dark rum (I used Myer's Rum)
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 cups maple syrup

French Toast:
4 cups of egg nog
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 dark rum
3 cups of cornflakes
1 loaf of challah bread (sliced in 1/4 inch slices)
Butter (for pan frying)

Sweet Butter:
1 cup of butter (room temperature)
4 oz of mascarpone cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Rum-Raisin Syrup
Simmer the rum raisins in 1/2 cup of dark rum, then let steep for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, pour the rum raisins over the maple syrup and set aside.

French Toast
In a bowl, whisk the egg nog, eggs, vanilla extract, and dark rum together until frothy. Set aside.
Pour 3 cups of cornflakes onto a plate and crush the flakes with your hands a few times.

Tip: It is VERY beneficial to set this up as an assembly line. At the start have the egg nog mixture, followed by the cornflakes and ending at the pan.

Next, turn your pan on and melt enough butter so that there is a generous amount for the french toast to cook in. Now, the fun begins.......

Take a piece of the challah bread and dip it in the egg nog mixture, then toss it around in the cornflakes so that there is a nice, even cornflake coating over the bread, then drop it in the pan. Let the french toast cook until each side is golden brown.


Place the crispy pieces of the Egg Nog French Toast onto a plate. Add a dollop of the sweet butter to each piece, top with the syrup and ENJOY!



This Egg Nog French Toast recipe will satisfy the tastebuds of your family. It is also a perfect addition for a special holiday morning, or heck, any morning! I hope that you will enjoy this recipe as much as I have.

Happy cooking!

-Becky

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm love this recipe! Next time I am sleeping over and I am expecting this in the morn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting on my 'Friday Morning After Thanksgiving' list to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna- Would love to make it for you =) Its so tasty!!!

    Nubian- I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Its perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete